5 Amazing Resources to Help You Find Your Dream Job Abroad7 min read

The world is changing; people don’t have a job for life anymore, and they accept that work may mean they have to move abroad. Maybe this is actually what you really want to do? Maybe you dream about working abroad after you graduate from college or university; or you’ve already started your career but are ready for the next step. This article is the right thing for you then! Get to know my top five resources that will help you find your dream job abroad.


The experience of living abroad – short or long term – can be enriching. I urge you to embrace all the challenges you’ll face, which can be daunting yet exciting. Living and working in another country and experiencing things from a different perspective can be beneficial. You not only expand your mind, but also gain essential skills. If you want to learn more about how traveling can enhance your job skills, you can read my article on that topic here. I’ll wait till you finished reading!

Done? Great! So now we’re all on the same page and you know how great of an experience it is to travel and live abroad. However, going abroad is not an easy decision and needs consideration and reflections. But then, sometimes you just have to say YES. So, how do you actually find a job abroad??

I’m going to show you five incredible websites and resources which will make your international job hunt a breeze. However, I’m going to focus on working in the EU for this time, because it’s were I have the most personal experience. This is also focused on working in the EU for EU citizens. The following resources are specifically for those seeking opportunities in Europe. This is why you should be aware that some opportunities may not be available to graduates who are non-EEA citizens. Let’s start:


  1. EURES is the European Commission’s European Job Mobility Portal. Here you can find job listings as well as an advisory site for recent graduates and jobseekers searching for jobs in Europe. You can search jobs by job description or employer’s name and you can also specify your education level. If you choose to create a profil with EURES you are able to create your CV online.
  2. EuroJobs in another search engine you can use to find vacancies, graduate jobs and internships. You can look for jobs by country, by city or by category.
  3. Europa.eu is the official website of the EU and gives you an overview about everything you need to know about living, working and travelling in the EU. This includes legal advice on your rights, as well as information about healthcare and consumer rights.
  4. YourEurope is another advice site of the EU which gives detailed practical information about your rights as a citizen at national level. For example, it gives information about how to find a job abroad and about required documents.
  5. CareersInternational is truly amazing because it organises interactive online events with real employers. It’s called “OneDayWith”. Through these events you can get to know international companies and learn what they are looking for in an employee.


Like it? Pin it!

The experience of living and working abroad can be enriching. These 5 Resources will help you find your dream job abroad - in Europe.            The experience of living and working abroad can be enriching. These 5 Resources will help you find your dream job abroad - in Europe.


Work Permit

As an EU national, you’re entitled to work in any EU country without needing a work permit. If you work and live in another EU country, be aware of the consequenes for your  benefits (e.g. maternity/paternity, pensions, sickness…) and where you have to pay your taxes. This especially applies to everyone who lives in one EU country but works in another!

As an EU national you generally don’t need a work permit to work anywhere in the EU – but there is always an exception to the rule: If you are a Croatian citizen you need a work permit in Austria, Malta, the Netherlands, Slovenia and the UK until 2020. This also goes the other way round – citizens of these countries need a work permit to work in Croatia. There is also a restriction to work in Switzerland for Bulgarians, Croatians and Romanians.

Regulated Professions

Some professions are regulated abroad. This applies, for example, to doctors, nurses, school teachers, or architects (and many more). You can find out if your profession is regulated through this database. If your profession is regulated you need to get your professional qualifications recognised so you can work abroad. I don’t want to go into to much detail here, so, if this applies to your profession, please refer to the Europe.eu website.


If you are thinking about getting a job abroad you may want to consider setting up a Europass. I haven’t done this myself but I’m probably going to start setting it up during the next months. Through Europass you can create different documents to make your skills and qualification recognizable across the EU, for example they give you tutorials on how to create a CV and there is also something called “Language Passport” which is a self-assessment tool for your language skills.


You are also entitled to live abroad, under certain conditions:

  1. If you’re planning to stay for more than three months it gets more complicated. Generally, you are allowed to live in any EU country where you work, are self-employed or have been posted to. If you lost your job, you still have the right to live abroad if you are either temporaily unable to work (e.g. because of an illness), are registered as involuntarily unemployed, or started a vocational training. You can get more detailed information on that here.
  2. If you stay for less than 3 months, it’s pretty simple: you only need a valid identity card or passport.
  3. Sometimes you have to report your presence in the country (within a reasonable period of time after you’ve arrived). During the first three months you don’t have to register (but you can if you wish to). After three months you may have to register with the relevant authority. However, this really depens on the country. In the UK, for example, you don’t need to have a registration certificate as a student if you’re a EU citizen. In Germany, you don’t  need a registration cerfiticate either, but you need to report your presence.
  4. You have the right of permanent residence if you have lived legally in the country for five years continuously.


Are you still with me? I know, it’s a lot of information but I hope it helps you. As you can see, all these things apply only to EU citizens wanting to work in another EU country. It get’s more complicated if you are a non EU-citizen. Then you need to apply for a visa and work permit. The regulations for that are different in each country for every nationality, so it would get to far to include all this in one post. I’ll put some research in it and will post more updated information soon. Until then, let’s chat down below:

Have you used other resources before to find a job abroad? What are your experiences with working in the EU?

Post A Comment